Eight years after filing to legally end their relationship, Brad Pitt AND Angelina Jolie have settled their divorce.
Jolie, 49, and Pitt, 61, filed for divorce on Monday, Dec. 30, according to The people.
“More than eight years ago, Angelina filed for divorce from Mr. Pitt. She and the children left all the properties they had shared with Mr. James Simon said The people in a statement on Monday. “This is just part of a long ongoing process that began eight years ago. Honestly, Angelina is exhausted, but she’s relieved that this part is over.”
A representative for Pitt declined to confirm or comment.
Pitt and Jolie were together for a decade before exchanging vows in August 2014. Two years later, Jolie filed for divorce in September 2016 after two years of marriage and a decade as a couple, citing irreconcilable differences as the reason for the split. They have six children: Maddox, Pax, Zahara, Shiloh and twins Knox and Vivienne. Jolie’s rep said at the time that she filed for divorce “for the health of the family.” Pitt was later investigated by the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services in connection with an incident with their eldest son on a plane. Although the allegations – which Pitt has denied – were investigated by the FBI, no charges were brought against the actor.
The exes have been legally single since November 2019, but are battling it out in court over custody issues and their French winery, Château Miraval.
In November, Jolie took a major step forward in her ongoing legal battle with Pitt, when a the judge ruled in advance that the actor must hand over documents and communications that Jolie claimed would prove he covered up alleged domestic violence against her and their children.
“I want to emphasize again that Angelina never wanted any of this. She never pressed charges, she left all of their property and is the one who tried to sell him the business in the first place,” Jolie’s attorney. Paul Murphy exclusively said us in a statement at the time. “To date, Mr. Pitt has never been held accountable for his actions and has always controlled Miraval and the winery, but he still wants more.”
The statement concluded: “She wants this to be over, the children want this to be over and Mr. Pitt needs to focus on healing their family. not pursuing a lawsuit. If he does not, Angelina will defend herself in court by presenting the necessary evidence to demonstrate that Pitt’s claims are patently false.”
A source close to Pitt said exclusively us later that month that the decision was “largely irrelevant because he has provided so much information already”.
Jolie and Pitt have also continued to fight over Miraval this past year, which is unrelated to their divorce proceedings. The legal battle over the $164 million French estate and winery began in February 2022 when Pitt filed a lawsuit against her alleging she illegally sold her shares of Château Miraval. Pitt claimed that he and Jolie previously agreed that they could only sell their shares with each other’s approval.
in november, us confirmed that a Los Angeles Superior Court judge ruled in favor of the Château Miraval case going to trial — and Pitt’s remaining claims against Jolie have been allowed to proceed. The judge accepted this Pitt has claimed enough of a contract regarding shares in the holding company, and Pitt’s claims were valid on two counts of interference. The update came after a judge earlier shut down Jolie’s efforts to dismiss the case.