Catherine, Princess of Wales, said she was relieved to be in remission on Tuesday after visiting the London hospital where she was being treated for her cancer and thanked all the doctors and staff there.
Catherine, 43, underwent preventative chemotherapy after major abdominal surgery a year ago revealed the presence of an unspecified form of cancer. In September, she confirmed that she had finished her chemotherapy.
“It is a relief to now be in remission and I remain focused on recovery,” she said in her recent statement.
“As anyone who has ever received a cancer diagnosis knows, it takes time to adjust to the new normal. However, I am looking forward to a fulfilling year ahead of me. There’s a lot to look forward to. Thank you everyone for your continued support.”
Her visit to the Royal Marsden Hospital in central London, where she underwent months of treatment, was her first solo public appearance since returning to official duties.
She met patients and staff and talked about the care she received. The trip also marked the announcement that she, along with her husband, heir to the throne Prince William, had taken on the patronage of the specialist cancer unit.
She told one patient that the impact on her family had been “really, really hard.”
“I wanted to take the opportunity to thank the Royal Marsden for looking after me so well over the past year,” she said in a message on X.
Catherine, Princess of Wales, has finished her chemotherapy and will gradually return to public life. She shared the update and her thoughts on her battle with her family in a rare, polished and positive video.
“My heartfelt thanks go to everyone who quietly stood by William and me as we got through everything. We couldn’t have asked for more. The care and advice we received during my time as a patient was exceptional.”
In previous, very personal video messages about her health, Catherine had spoken about how badly her illness had affected her, William and their three young children, Prince George (11), Princess Charlotte (9) and Prince Louis (6).
William described the last year as “brutal” as King Charles also underwent cancer treatment. A Buckingham Palace source said his treatment was moving in a positive direction and would continue this year.